April 1, 2013

Montreal launch and the four-day weekend

Thursday was the Montreal launch for Bone and Bread, and it went really well!  Thank you so, so much to everyone who came out.

Outside Drawn & Quarterly bookstore.

I met up with some writer friends beforehand, at Le Depanneur cafe, an hour before the Monday Night Choir performed in support of the launch.  (I'm not in this choir, though I've submitted my name to the long waiting list.)  Their set was amazing, and I cannot even describe how special it felt to have the evening start with music like this!  Below is a picture of them performing.  (This photo, and actually all the ones in this post were taken by amazing publicist K.)

Monday Night Choir performing at Le Depanneur cafe

Then we crossed the street to D & Q, where I read a couple of short sections of the novel.

A rare photo of me looking semi-normal while reading!!

This was followed by a fun Q & A with Drew Nelles, the editor of Maisonneuve Magazine, and then, deliriously happy that the public speaking part of the night was over, I signed books and chatted with people and generally felt like the luckiest girl on earth.  And we sold out of all the books!

The lovely peeps at D&Q also blogged about the night here.  

Chatting with Drew Nelles of Maisonneuve.

Post-reading, I've just been recovering.  My cold got worse after Toronto, and it was so bad just before the launch I actually had to miss a day and a half of work (which almost never happens), and it is in fact still going.  I have actually never seen this much green goo (yuck, sorry) in my whole life.

BUT...it's the four-day weekend!  One of the best things about the Easter weekend is that it always seems to sneak up on me and therefore feels like a surprise holiday.  In the past, I've used this weekend to write furiously, stay up late, and make a huge dent in a project.  Instead, I've been watching endless episodes of Homeland and knitting like mad.  (Shhh...don't tell my piles of laundry and taxes.)  I'm working on a new spring cowl that I'm looking forward to wearing with my leather jacket once the weather is warm enough.  And once I finish it.  I wonder which will come first?  Today the weather in Montreal is weird and windy.  I'm excited for a stretch of warm weather to come.

Hope everyone had a fun and restful long weekend!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Congratulations on selling out of all the books!!! WOW. That's major!

I'm thrilled also to learn that you sing, and that there was a little choral concert in honour of your event. What did they sing? I used to be in a concert choir (alto/contralto).

I'm really looking forward to reading Bone and Bread; it's on my nightstand. And Mother Superior beside my kitchen table and is going to be featured this week in #shortstoriesforbreakfast!

Congratulations again on such a successful night. You looked lovely, too. Hope you're feeling better!

saleema said...

Thanks so much, Steph! I'm finally feeling a little better now (I can always tell I'm better when I feel like blogging). I love hearing about B&B on people's nightstands AND about bookish people who sing (there are quite a lot of us, it seems!)

The choir had a pretty eclectic set: a French Canadian folk song, an arrangement of a tUnE-yArDs song, a set of four Estonian wedding songs, and...something else I can't remember right now. It was amazing!