December 17, 2012

a weekend away from the computer

A weekend away from the computer always feels strange, like I’ve forgotten to take care of something.  (Indeed, this feeling took hold as Sunday evening turned the corner into Sunday night and I felt as though there must be something...unfinished homework, unwritten essays, unsent emails...resulting in an uneasy few hours before I went to bed.  To tell you the truth, I still haven't quite shaken it off.)  But it was a packed weekend that still managed to be utterly relaxing.  We went to see The Hobbit, witnessed a kids’ limbo competition (V and N always seem to wind up in a dance showdown of some variety or other), picked up Portuguese chicken, and I had a chance to (almost) finish reading a book I started months and months ago. 

Best of all, K was also in town on her way to Ottawa, and we spent time catching up and post mortem-ing (um, it’s a word if I say so) our summer weddings, attending the sing-along Messiah at Christ Church Cathedral downtown, and drinking tea and playing recorder.  K reacquainted me with the fingering for some sharps and flats I’ve forgotten in the decade since I’ve picked one up.  She and B taught me a fiddle song, too.  

We also squeezed in a brunch at our favourite spot near my old apartment, where we were spoiled by the staff (mimosas for me and D, when they heard we’d gotten married, a fruit smoothie for V), and I managed to pick up some winter boots — very necessary as I’d thrown out my old, falling apart ones after I slipped and broke my wrist last winter.  Just in time, too, given today’s weather!


 With one snowfall, a whirl of winter.
 

2 comments:

KatKit said...

hah! Was it my question, "don't you guys have stuff you need to do??" that prompted the thoughts in this post? ;-) I am now inspired to make this coming weekend a "weekend away from the computer." After all, we're entering a new (Mayan) era on Saturday, so might as well get it off to a healthy start....

Anyhow, a LOVELY weekend indeed. thank you so much, and good luck with your boots!

saleema said...

Yes, pretty much it was exactly that question!! Haha.

It was so wonderful to see you guys -- and yes, the boots are working out well. They're so cozy and warm I'm even wearing them inside right now.